For Sujaya di
- Cut the bananas into 3-4 pieces, pressure cook up to 3 whistles. Drain in a colander. (overnight if necessary)
- Peel the skin, mince or chop finely with a sharp knife. Mash the banana flesh(you may prefer to stir fry them to reduce water content further. Optional step). Add salt and coriander powder. Make round balls. Coat with all purpose flour or maida. Deep fry in oil. Set aside on paper towels to drain excess oil.
- In a wok, heat mustard oil. Add Bengali panch phoran, tej pata. Let it splutter. Take care not to burn the phoron or it will taste bitter. Then add ginger paste, turmeric powder, red chili powder, salt to taste. On medium low flame. (Flame button turned to about 4 o'clock)
- Add chopped tomato, ginger, green chilis (you may add fried potatoes pieces if you want. I add green peas too). Add boiled water for gravy. Cook till a boil.
- Add ghee, garam masala. Add the kofta balls to the gravy. Turn once. Alternately, if the balls are too soft, add the gravy to the balls after it has cooled a bit.